Follow me on Amara Recipes- Facebook

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

K- Kakarakaya Nuvvula Kura/Bitter Gourd with Sesame seeds

Kakarakaya is normally bitter and not a favorite veggie for a lot of people. I used to runaway from it too when I was a kid. 
My mom started making this curry so me and my sister would eat it with out complaining as it takes all the bitterness out. 
My grandma used to make this curry when we were kids.
You will need very tender Bitter gourd for this curry. If the skin is really thin, there will not be bitterness in the curry at all.

Preparation Time: 15 minutes 
Cook Time: 30 minutes 
Serves : 2-3

Ingredients:
Kakarakaya/Bitter Gourd : 6 medium size tender ones
Turmeric: 1 teaspoon 
Red chili powder: 1/2 teaspoon 
Onion : 1/2 large chopped and fried
Coriander powder: 1/2 teaspoon 
Salt to taste 
Cooking Twine: To tie the bitter gourds

For Masala Stuffing:
Onion : 1/2 large chopped and fried
Nuvvulu/Sesame seeds: 1/3 cup roasted and powdered
Red chili powder: 1 teaspoon 
Cumin powder: 1/2 teaspoon 
Coriander powder: 1/2 teaspoon 
Salt to taste 

Method:

Heat oil in a pan and fry the onion till translucent. 1/2 of it is used in the stuffing and 1/2 later.
Take the bitter gourd, wash and pat dry. Take a peeler and lightly peel the 
bumpy skin. Slit and take out the seeds.
Mix all ingredients listed under for masala stuffing and insert that into the slit of bitter gourd. Tie it with a piece of twine so the stuffing stays inside.
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and fry the bitter gourds for 5-7 minutes until they turn brown on all sides. Take them out into a plate.
In the same pan, add 1 teaspoon of oil, add the left over onion and all spices and fry for 1 minute. Add the bitter gourd and fry for 1 minute. Turn off the stove and serve hot with white rice or sambar rice.

















Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63



19 comments:

  1. A great one for bitter gourd lovers, I bet. I have heard about the sesame stuffing of Karela from a relative and have the recipe noted. Have to try out your version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bitter gourd is one of my favorite vegetable but hardly make it as there are no takers at home. My cousin makes it like this but her stuffing is slightly different from yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a fan of this veggie but I have never tried the stuffed version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though I am not a fan of bittergourd I have made this version..I am sure karela loves will love this..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bookmarked !..I am a big fan of these and make these with different stuffings..must try this version too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love stuffed karela.This version sounds so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks so yum. never tried stuffed karelas before. bookmarking this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So tempting stuffed bittergourd, my god my mouth is watering here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a delicious bittergourd curry Amara. I don't think I've ever tired it with sesame seeds, will have to try your version sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a tempting and delicious bittergourd curry,sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even though they are bitter I just love these gourds. But have never tried this stuffed version. Yours looks so inviting. As I have some in fridge now, will definitely try..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting stuffing for kakarakaya.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not a fan of karela. But your recipe looks super tempting. Great idea Amara!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's my favorite vegetable but no one likes it at home but I am going to make this for my self perfect as aside dish..

    ReplyDelete
  15. We all love bitter gourd and this is a very interesting method to make it. I am definitely trying this :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. although that stuffing looks tasty, I am not a fan of bitter gourd

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am not a bittergourd lover. Bittergourd lovers might enjoy this..

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am fan of karela and would love to try this Amara. Lovely recipe

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am not a great fan of bittergourd, but this way of cooking is nice. Should try soon

    ReplyDelete